area of Mangere was settled by European farmers from the early 1850s.
Several of the original houses of the area survive. One such building
is the Westney House, built in 1855 by William Westney for his wife
Sarah and children Jabez, Stephen, William, MaryAnn and Harriet.
Several generations of the family lived there for over 70 years.
Archaeological investigations at the Westney House and farm outbuildings
took place in 2005. Because it was an early farmhouse with several
additions, and there were standing farm buildings from the 19th
century, there was a strong emphasis on recording the construction
techniques, materials and changes to the building. Archaeological
excavation and the analysis of the material culture, particularly
the domestic ceramics, assisted with working out the chronology
of the additions to the house. Changes to the building and discard
of domestic items could be correlated with significant events in
the family such as marriage and introduction of a new individual
to the household.