Excavations were conducted at Pipitea Street, Wellington in June 2008. The site was in the vicinity of where Pipitea Pa (actually a fenced kainga) had once been located. The site has the potential to reveal activities associated with occupation of the pa and the transition to use for colonial houses. The land was divided into several properties and houses were built on the site in the mid-19th century, with more added in 1881 and the 1930s. 1860s house foundations were discovered, some of which demonstrated successive phases of additions to the building. Two brick-lined wells were uncovered on the site and numerous rubbish pits containing domestic refuse. Analysis of the artefacts and reporting on the archaeology is complete.
Download full PDF report and data from the Lower North Island Reports page.